Select language
Search results
11 to 20 out of 54 images
  • Images
    11-20
Sepia-toned photo-lithograph of a wash sketch, showing the Pul-e Kheshti, which is an aqueduct over the Kushk River. In the left background the Murghab, in the centre the white artificial hillock of Ak Tepe. In the left foreground the same ‘platform’ is seen, which is also shown on the sketches by William Simpson.
Place, date
Pul-e Kheshti, 1885
Collection
Afghan Boundary Commission
Series
ELD Sketches, 054 to 107
ELD 064
Sepia-toned photo-lithograph of a wash sketch, showing a malang in a quilted robe and a pointed hat. A long rifle with a two-pointed support is hanging on his back.
Place, date
?, 1885-86
Collection
Afghan Boundary Commission
Series
ELD Sketches, 054 to 107
ELD 065
Sepia-toned photo-lithograph of a wash sketch, showing a group of Afghans watering their horses and camels at the Murghab River. On the opposite side of the river a cluster of domed mud houses. Ak Tepe in distance.
Place, date
Old Panjdeh, February 9, 1885
Collection
Afghan Boundary Commission
Series
ELD Sketches, 054 to 107
ELD 066
Sepia-toned photo-lithograph of a wash sketch, looking south to the exit of the Murghab River from its gorge Darband-e Jaokar, six miles south of Bala Murghab. The mountains of Band-e Abul Gaya are on the left, the Darband-e Turkestan on the right. The village in front is probably Kala-ye Khwaja.
Place, date
Bala Murghab, December to February, 1884-85
Collection
Afghan Boundary Commission
Series
ELD Sketches, 054 to 107
ELD 067
Sepia-toned photo-lithograph of a wash sketch, showing Bala Murghab from the north. The bazar with the archway lies to the left, in the right background the fort. In the foreground the snow-covered landscape and the partly frozen Murghab River is sketched. This site has only been re-occupied since 1882 after its complete devastation by Turkoman raids; the fort was entirely rebuilt in 1884 by the Afghans.
Place, date
Bala Murghab, December 1884 to February 1885
Collection
Afghan Boundary Commission
Series
ELD Sketches, 054 to 107
ELD 068
Sepia-toned photo-lithograph of a wash sketch, showing the ruined gateway at the entrance to the small bazaar of Bala Murghab, looking south, in direction to the Band-e Turkestan.
Place, date
Bala Murghab, December 1884 to February 1884-85
Collection
Afghan Boundary Commission
Series
ELD Sketches, 054 to 107
ELD 069
Sepia-toned photo-lithograph of a wash sketch, showing a mountainous scenery.
Place, date
Siah Bulak, December 22, 1884
Collection
Afghan Boundary Commission
Series
ELD Sketches, 054 to 107
ELD 070
Sepia-toned photo-lithograph of a wash sketch, showing at the centre background the artificial hill, crowned with the Maruchak Fort, surrounded by a fairly waterless moat. In the left foreground some ruins. The fort and the surrounding wall were only recently re-built under the command of General Ghaus ud-Din Khan.
Place, date
Maruchak, February 16, 1885
Collection
Afghan Boundary Commission
Series
ELD Sketches, 054 to 107
ELD 071
Sepia-toned photo-lithograph of a wash sketch, showing the Murghab River at Karawal Khana, where the Chaharjambeh River joins from the east. In the centre of the sketch a camp with British tents is shown. On the right, the wide valley of the Murghab, going up to the south to Bala Murghab, the site of the winter quarters of the ABC.
Place, date
Karawal Khana, December, 1884
Collection
Afghan Boundary Commission
Series
ELD Sketches, 054 to 107
ELD 072
Sepia-toned photo-lithograph of a wash sketch, showing the remains of the broken bridge at Maruchak. The bulldog mascot stands close to the river.
Place, date
Maruchak, February 16, 1885
Collection
Afghan Boundary Commission
Series
ELD Sketches, 054 to 107
ELD 073