RE 076 — View from the Eastern End of the Bemaru Hill
View from the top of the eastern end of the Bemaru hill in ENE direction. At this point the British troops constructed a fortification, called ‘Fort Onslow’. The photograph RE 077 is almost a continuation to the right.
[Album:] Outlook from East end of Bemaru Hights, where Fort Onslow stands, towards Kohistan, over the country by which the enemy from that quarter retired in December. The villages in the foreground were afterwards completely levelled. [S&M List:] 2-14 View from Bimaru shewing Kohistan Route.
Chatham: Box No.: F 18, Album No.: 6/44, Page No.: 10
- Photo No. RE 095 and 096: Lt. G.C.P. Onslow, R.E., under whose command the fort was constructed
- Collection Cabul Defences, Photo. No. 23, the same photograph: “Outlook from East end of Bemaru heights, where Fort Onslow stands, towards Kohistan, over the country by which the enemy from that quarter retired in December. The villages in the foreground were afterwards completely levelled.”
- Mitford, R.C.W. (1880): To Caubul with the Cavalry Brigade, p. 125: “On Tuesday the 11th of November we had the first snow-storm; it was very light, but accompanied by a bitterly cold wind.”
- L.W. Adamec (1985): Kabul and southeast Afghanistan, p. 108: Bimaru or Bemaru, Bibi Mahru, "A village at the north east corner of the Sherpur cantonments. [...] The ridges, at the eastern end of which the village stands, called in the old war the 'Bimaru heights,' forms the north side of the Sherpur enclosure, and was a feature of much military importance both in 1841 and in 1879. [...]"
- Schinasi, M. (2008): Kaboul 1773-1948, p. 63: identification of the ‘Kohistan Route’ as the famous ‘Khiyaban’ installed by Emperor Babur and used as a racing course for horses; pp. 66-69: description of Sherpur.
Royal Engineers Museum, Library and Archive 1878-1880 1878-1880
RE 057-099, Kabul Photographs
Albumen paper with gold toning, 210/280 mm, mounted on cardboard
Kabul, winter 1879/80